Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book Review: Blogophobia Conquered


Fear not, dear almost-blogger.

These are the soothing words of Laura Christianson in her worthwhile e-book, Blogophobia Conquered.

blogophobia-conquered-coverlr-5-11-09

I wouldn’t consider myself a blogophobe, really. More like over-confident and under-informed.

Laura’s book will serve you well if:
  •   you are trying to determine if you need a blog
  •   you have fears about your abilities to blog successfully 
  •   you just want to get started, and need a guiding hand to hold.
Or perhaps, like me, you launched a blog in typical I-don’t-need-to-read-the-instructions, I-can-figure-this-out-myself fashion. Now it’s time to go back and fill in the gaps left in the wake of your exuberance.

In her friendly tone—comparing blog hosting services to ready-made pie crusts—Laura provides practical encouragement rather than stuffy technical jargon.

Most helpful for me, she emphasizes the discipline of time management. (C’mon guys, am I the only one who struggles with this?) Scheduling, for a creative type, is a party-killer! After a few months of winging it, I concede that I must set clear goals and make a plan. Here are some of Laura’s suggestions:
  • Commit to a set time period (a year) to experiment with your blog and build your brand.
  • Decide how often you will post and set “reasonable, attainable goals.” She points out that burnout is your worst enemy.
  • Act like a real Editor! Make a schedule, calendaring the days and topics you will post.
Laura-ChristiansonMHhr-200x300

You can download the first chapter of Blogophobia Conquered for FREE, and there’s much more to check out over at Laura Christianson’s site, Blogging Bistro. If you seek a more confident and successful approach to social media, she may become your new best friend.

2 comments:

  1. Kit,

    Thanks so much for your wonderful review. I'm glad you're finding the book helpful! I'm going to post a link to your review on my blog (probably tomorrow).

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasure, Laura!
    I really hope others avail themselves of your knowledge and avoid unnecessary head-scratching.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics